Tuesday, September 23

Heroes and Heartbreak

Spoiler warning (per the wisdom of C-man for those who have not watched the new episodes yet):

As I watch Heroes (in general, not currently) I am stirred in thought. I love the show because it reminds me of my childhood and my extreme love of mutations, superpowers, X-Men, collecting comic cards, going with friends on "missions" and taking on evil doers. I love the show because it makes me think. I think that should be a basic goal of film, media, theatre, etc. It works for me. I was so sad last night though. One of the characters - Nathan Petrelli - said after he was brought back to life how it was "by the Hand of God" that he was alive again. He said that (those with extraordinary powers) could be "angels enacting God's will." All of this I was ok with to some degree. However, when he took the message of "save the cheerleader, save the world" which was quintessential to the entire show (I mean a foundational piece to all plot lines) and changed it to "save yourself, save the world," my heart broke.

I was saddened. deeply. I was so hurt that the millions that watch this globally would take this message to heart. I was sad that God's message of His work for us to accomplish His will and our not having to work for our merit and salvation was completely abashed. I was broken that Nathan will (likely) continue to live by this mantra throughout the story.

As media is king in the land of the somewhat united States of America (capitalization used as deemed most appropriate) I mourned as God's True message was dishonored, untold, and misrepresented.

God save us, for only you can.
Save us from ourselves, for only you can.
God save our world, for only you can. Amen.

PS: Heroes is going to be really great this season!

1 comments:

Cary said...

i'm sad that i know nathan is alive now. you might want to put a spoiler warning at the top of the page.

i'm going to watch the first episode as soon as Candace and I finish season 2. we are both very excited!

i miss ya brother.