Monday, January 28

Today I learned that a man that I work with is 52 and taught himself how to read 11 years ago by reading the Bible. This floors me, for several reasons. How in the world did our educational system fail so badly that people are making it through high school, or middle school, or elementary school, even, without the ability to read? How? Seriously, this should be an archaic problem for English speaking American students in the twenty-first century. Obviously, it is not. God's depth also amazes me. He transcends teaching, abilities, opportune brain development for learning, suprememly challenging home lives that distract from book learning, and other powerful obstacles. This can be hope for the hopeless, the unlearned, and the illiterate of the world. The Word of God will not come back void, even if no one is reading it to others.

I think this has great implications for God's might and for the limitations that I place on God ALMIGHTY. yeah, I forget that last part sometimes and what it can really mean.

Thank you God for your providence shining through the darkness of Mississippi.

1 comments:

TS said...

Amazing. There's a girl in our program who can't read; she is technically literate, but who cannot comprehend what she's reading at all. Crazy.