Friday, November 14

Flamin' Friday


Is there a gay gene that homosexuals are born with?

This is a frequently asked question in the world and church. Some homosexual people in the world hope the answer will be yes so that non-graceful, prejudice, judgmental people will leave them alone for the decision they couldn't help but make. Those that are homosexual - which in my opinion the term is on quite a sliding scale - within the church hope the answer is yes so that they will likewise not be judged for the sin they couldn't help but choose. On the other side of the barricade/pew are those that hope the answer is no. Some hope this so they can have a reason to judge those of a sin that is or is not their own. Some hope they will be justified in knowing that they were right that gays chose their lifestyle. Some feel it would provide them proof like The Case for Christ against the homosexual clan that is quickly destroying the structure of our nation and families faster than our capillaries are clogging with movie butter.

Well, now that I've covered some glittering generalities I'll let you in on my tew cents. I believe the answer is no and yes, however, I don't have the usual answers. I believe the answer is no because I think that having a gay gene is just ridiculous...which is a REALLY strong by the way. On the otherhand, I do believe there is a "gay gene." It's called human nature. From birth we are all rotten, spoiled, and putrid in and of ourselves and thanks to our parents (nice goin' mom and dad). Why do you think babies puke all the time, really?! Everyone has their different propensities toward different sins. Maybe this is a result of simply living in a fallen world. Maybe this is part of generational curses and the sins of the father coming onto the son/daughter (which I am very unlearned in this area in respect to the new covenant).

These are my thoughts, and I have a lot more on this topic and I hope to be consistent in writing about them to spur some non-elevated, mature dialogue concerning the topic. Tell me your thoughts.

5 comments:

Sarah Lewie said...

"Tew cents" - oh Nicholas, thanks for making me smile so early in the morn. =)

TenaciousT said...

To me, the genetics isn't the issue. The hatred of people is the issue. It breaks my heart that people with planks in their eye even dare condemn a speck in others to such a damaging degree.
Good post.
I, also, enjoyed the pun :)

Mandy said...

I laughed at 'tew cents,' too.
Good points. I like the yes and no. And I agree. Satan can't create. He can't make evil. He can only take a good thing (sex - done the right way, and by that I mean with your loving spouse) and turn it upside down. Sometimes we don't really need Satan all that much. We do a pretty good job messing things up on our own.

Joel said...

nic.

a friend and i were having a conversation over this subject recently. he brought up the point (although in my opinion this is not the majority of cases) that in some instances, babies are born with both male and female organs, which blurred the line a bit more for him on the wrongness of being homosexual, since a decision had to be made at birth. perhaps it turned out to be the wrong decision later on...i would like to know what your opinion is on this.

jenniferharrisdault said...

I agree with TenaciousT -- who cares whether or not there is a gene (well, obviously a LOT of people)? God's people are NOT called to condemn, judge or finger point.

Theologically, I can't help but feel that 7 verses using a word with questionable translation can't build a rock-solid case against loving relationships. I've known quite a few folks in committed same-sex relationships who are FAR closer to the heart of God than I am. Who am I to suggest I know what God is calling anyone else to?